During the IV UCLG World Congress held in Rabat the government bodies of the organization were renewed.
In October 3rd, 2013, in the African City of Rabat, the UCLG General Assembly ratified the designation of the City of Bilbao as member of UCLG World Council for the period 2013-2016, occupying one of the 8 seats designated in the World Council to UCLG direct members of the European Section.
Until date, the City of Bilbao occupied the position of substitute in the World Council.
Ms. Ibone Bengoetxea, Deputy Mayor of Bilbao and President of the Basque Association of Municipalities (EUDEL) took part in the General Assembly meeting for the designation, as representative of the City.
The City of Bilbao has been collaborating with UCLG since its foundation, as President of the Committee of Digital and Knowledge-based Cities and also as an active member in the activities, boosted from UCLG. The designation of Bilbao as member of the World Council ratifies the commitment of the City with UCLG.
Additionally, during the meeting of the UCLG World Council in Rabat, a process for the election of the new Presidency of UCLG for the period 2013-2016 took place.
Kadir Topbaş, Mayor of Istanbul (Turkey) was reelected President of the organization.
The following co-presidents were elected:
- Augusto Barrera, Mayor of Quito (Ecuador),
- Anne Hidalgo, First deputy Mayor at the Town Hall of Paris (France)
- Chen Jianhua, Mayor of Guangzhou (China),
- Alain Juppé, President of the French Association of the Council of European Municipalities and Regions (AFCCRE), Mayor of Bordeaux (France) and Vice-president of the Committee of Digital and Knowledge-based Cities.
- Ilsur Metshin, Mayor of Kazan (Russia) was re-elected co-president
- Jacqueline Moustache Belle, President of the Association of Districts of Victoria (Seychelles), Mayor of Victoria
- Fathallah Oualalou, Mayor of Rabat (Morocco) was elected as treasurer for UCLG.
- Berry Vrbanovic, Emeritus President of the Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM), Councilor of Kitchener was nominated deputy treasurer.
Nine Vice-Presidents representing all the regions of the world were also elected. The Assembly General of UCLG welcomed the creation of a new section for the Regions that will be led by ORU-FOGAR.
More information: www.uclg.org